How are you? Are you enjoying 2018 so far?
I am because I am excited and ready to start a new year with new reading goals.
2017 was not great in terms of reading, I bought more books in 2017 than I did read them. I have over 100 books on my physical/kindle TBR currently and life itself has been shit. But this year, 2018, I want to focus more on my reading and at least go through half of my current TBR.
This year I want to focus on my TBR and limit my book purchases throughout the year. I have tried multiple times to cut my book purchases yet I still end up buying more than I anticipated. So this year, I am going to buy books that I really want and not get books that everyone else gets but also to not get tempted with beautiful pictures on Instagram.
I have 130 books on my TBR that I haven’t read yet and honestly I wish I could be like The Flash and speed read every single unread book that I own because I feel so bad to keep them on the shelf.
Things I want to get to in 2018:
- Read more classics, I have a growing pile of classic books by my bed and I haven’t been able to pick up any of them. At the beginning of 2017, I was on a high of reading a classic book every single month and I scoured throughout the interweb to find these editions because I specifically loved the covers. I also seemed to go through a Jane Austen book once a year. I read Sense and Sensibility two years ago and I finished Pride and Prejudice at the beginning of 2017. So hopefully I will pick up another Austen book this year.
- Goodreads Reading Goal, so as I have said I have 130 books on my TBR and I have decided to at least cut that TBR down in half, so this year I plan to read 65 books, which isn’t hard in my head and I am able to balance my reading time with my work time anyway so it’s absolutely fine. But I’ll probably end up getting rid of some books anyway because I always end up doing a book clearout sometime during the year.
- To try and get through the books that have been there the longest before starting a recent purchase. I always seem to pick up books that have been on my shelf for the last 2-3 months and not any of the books that have been on my TBR for the last two years. I have a copy of Hookah by Cameron Jace and it has been the number one book on my written TBR spread in my Bullet Journal, yet I still avoid that book whenever I start a new read.
- To try and reread some books that you love. So I have reread some books in 2017 and it was great but it honestly felt that it wasn’t enough. So I am going to pick up some books throughout the year that I haven’t read in the last three years, I chose three because. A. I started getting into book blogging about three and a half years ago and B. I like the number 3.
- To try and socialise with other bookbloggers and bookstagrammers. I am a quiet person and I honestly don’t want to pry on to people mostly because I feel bad to just interrupt them when they are doing something important. I would say that I have a bit of a following on my Instagram account but I was very disappointed with my blog, hence the reason for a new change of scenery.
I don’t know how this year will pan out but I am positive that this year will be much different than last year.
Also, what are your goals for 2018? It doesn’t have to be about reading, it could be about your life or your career. I have to admit I wasn’t expecting much out of 2017 but I have to say that what I did last year I don’t regret it. Right now I am happy and I hope to come back to this post and see how 2018 was.
Leave a Reply